The City of Schertz experienced a busy year. New construction grew the City’s industrial footprint by just under 600,000 square feet, reaffirming Schertz’ position as a leader in the San Antonio industrial market. Additionally, Schertz saw the expansion of multiple existing businesses, including Mondelēz International (producer of brands such as Oreo, Nabisco, and Cadbury) and Southeastern Freight Lines (the 10th largest Less-Than-Truckload carrier in the Americas).
Amid this flurry of development activity, the City of Schertz Economic Development (SEDC) has been hard at work, coordinating industry roundtables and meeting with companies at recruitment events across the country, all the while remaining committed to our mission. Our Annual Report provides the opportunity to reflect on these efforts and celebrate our business community’s progress.
What Is the Annual Report?
The Annual Report covers the SEDC’s fiscal year (October 1, 2017 to September 30, 2018) and includes details on our: recruitment and retention efforts; data covering city demographics and the business community; summaries of active Projects; an overview of development in Schertz; and the SEDC’s annual financial summary. In short, the Annual Report tells the story of the SEDC over the past year.
Top Ten List
Below we’ve created a list of the top 10 key takeaways drawn from the pages of the SEDC Annual Report. Download the full report at the bottom of the page to explore all the details documenting the City of Schertz’ economic development progress.
- The SEDC entered into incentive agreements with 4 individual companies/developers to bring new – and expand existing – Primary Job Employers and promote infrastructure improvements
- Two hiring fairs brought in over 470 job seekers
- Eighteen major commercial developments were completed
- New residential permits issued during the fiscal year were 8.98% higher than those issued over the same period last year
- New education facilities, totaling approximately 276,000 square feet, were completed in the City
- Business Retention & Expansion hosted seven roundtables bringing together manufacturing, logistics, and human resource professionals
- Eight blogs were developed as part of marketing efforts to better tell the SEDC’s story
- SchertzEDC.com saw a 52% increase in users browsing the site from the previous fiscal year
- The SEDC exceeded its inquiry generation recruitment goal by seven
- Fifteen recruitment events were held in locations ranging from California to Canada